Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Blaspheme Central!


This entry is purely on something i feel strongly about, i am sure there will be some comments!


Unfortunately my experience both in Canada and the US so far is the unlimited usage of the expression "oh my Gawd" - not pronounced unfortunately as i have spelt it. You know, if this slips in occasionally ok, but people of all ages, including kids and teenagers use this line. I have to be honest i cringe every time i hear it, i just find it so disrespectful. This opinion is not coming from a holier than thou outlook as believe me i really am lacking in this department and could certainly pull my socks up - but its just the lack of respect. In South Africa somehow people are abit more conservative and therefore possibly more respecting as i hardly hear this sentence back home. In addition i find the kids, more so in Canada not having alot of respect for parents either, this is no reflection on the children where i am staying but rather just observing around me and also what they show on tv.

Lastly i have to mention these names of businesses in Canada which tickled me abit:

1. Canadian Tire - not a drive in tyre store but a general store like Game which sells everything from tyres to plates.
2. The Brick - nope not a brick store, but a furniture store.
3. London Drugs - nope not a place where you go for an english drug fix, but rather a type of clicks store, or in the UK like Boots.

Right well that's my observations for the week, I am in Seattle now. so lets see what pops out here!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Hi Sue, I love your blog about Cannucks (Canadians) saying oh my god - I was always correcting Jennifer to say oh my GOSH, I will have to check what she is actually saying. Its quite possibly oh my god since most kids do! Its part of the general decline in standards, soon we will be living in a society void of moral standards. I think the God aspect has turned into more of a "oh my gawd", , but still. I see WTF and MotherF'ker and that type of thing used online a lot, its becoming the norm in speech among our youth (Im old!) I take a stand against it, I believe if we don’t correct oh my God its a short step to WTF being normal in conversation. I have had this exact conversation in another online groups, the “youth” don’t see anything wrong with WTF were you thinking you MF’er!! Oh my gosh. Have I turned into one of those old fogies I despised as a kid?

Hurry back, we need more Fruit Salad made.
Your Vancouver family, K,B and the Brat